pretty little rolls royce we saw at the monte carlo.
"grand prix de monaco 2010, historique,formule 1, 13 au 16 mai"
some of the ridiculous yachts in monaco
the monte carlo casino
view of monaco from the top of this scenic view
Anyways. Here we go.
After we went to Maranello, we got in the car and drove to Monaco. You've all heard of Monaco, right? Well, if you haven't, I'll just tell you a little about it.
So Monaco is one mile long, and a half a mile wide. Not that great, right? WRONG. Monaco is a city that is basically built upon itself. The roads are insanely narrow and twisty, and not to mention dangerous. You come into the city, and everything is squished together. You look up, and it's more of the same.
Monaco is home of the Monte Carlo Casino. I'm sure you have all heard of it. The casino itself was started in 1850 in Monaco because the Royal family was almost bankrupt. They needed a "get rich quick" scheme, so they started the casino. It didn't start out so great, and it took a while for it to get itself going. When the railroad was put into Monaco, it brought a ton of people to the casino, and the Royal family was pretty much swimming in money. In fact, they had so much money that they abolished the taxes for the citizens. And to this day there is still no taxes for the citizens.
And I bet right now, you're thinking, "Man, I wish I could move to Monaco, they're so lucky."
But that is where things get complicated. There is SO much money in that town. There are Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Maserati's, Bentley's, Rolls Royce, you name it. They're all there.
We looked at apartment prices there, and we decided to live there, you needed like, 2 million dollars. So let's just all pack up our things and move to Monaco...
Monaco is also home to the Monaco Grand Prix. It's a car race, and it's a car class called Formula 1. It's like NASCAR, but classier and more European. If you don't watch it, I highly recommend that you do. The Grand Prix is in a couple weeks, of course it's right after we leave.
Well enough of that jibber-jabber. So we stayed at Monaco for a night, and admired all the multimillion dollar yachts and expensive cars. Blahblahblah.
The next morning, my parents got out of the hotel to go look around some more while I slept. I didn't actually wake up until 1 in the afternoon. I believe I am totally sleep deprived. Jet lag kills..Just kidding. It actually doesn't, but you catch my drift, right? Right.
So after my parents come in and get me up, we drove out to this little town called Cannes. I bet you've heard of that town, too. It's home of numerous designer shops, and of course the Cannes film festival. I guess the film festival is in like, 2 weeks. What the heck! Everything is going on after we leave!
Well we went to Cannes, and spent the night in this hotel called Hotel America. But you know something that's ironic? On the television, there was NOT A SINGLE CHANNEL in English. How does that work?! So we watched this French version of CSI. It was really weird if you ask me. CSI is a lot better, just in case you were wondering.
Off to our next stop. We got up this morning and drove across France to this little places called Aix-en-Provence. It's a little town kind of by the border of France and Switzerland. So in this place called Aix, there's all these little alleys and side streets, and that's where all the shopping is. Most of the stores are American take offs, but we do the same to them, don't we? We do.
There's not much more to write about this place,,,,it's pretty uneventful.
So I PROMISE that I will write tomorrow about Switzerland, as soon as I get the chance. I'll tell you if the chocolate is good too(:
-Annie.
Hi Annie, Mom and Dad - Comment allez-vous? I thought I would just try a little French lingo from High School and college days. That means "how are you"? You forgot to mention that Monaco was home to Grace Kelly, famous American movie star of the 50's! She married Prince Rainier of Monaco, but died in car crash several years ago. That's what made Monaco famous in the U.S. Sounds like you're having a fabulous time. Please remind your Dad that shipping cars from Europe to the U.S. is very costly. Now I know you didn't say that, but I know how his mind works!! Love, Grammy/Mom
ReplyDeleteWow! We miss you guys. Sounds like you are having quite the adventure. I can't wait to see all the pics. We are having our own little hillbilly vacation in Moab. We are actually having a great time. This place is awesome. We are hiking to Delicate Arch tonight at sunset and waiting for the stars to come out. If it's good, we'll have to come down with you next time. Keep having fun. Can't wait to hear the rest of your adventures.
ReplyDelete